Different types of emergencies, including weather events such as severe thunderstorms and tornadoes or hazardous materials releases, can necessitate the need to seek shelter.
If a seek shelter is ordered:
- If you are indoors, stay inside.
- If you are outside, quickly go to the nearest building.
- Once indoors, find an appropriate room or space in the building to shelter. Stay away from the windows if possible.
In the event of a tornado warning:
- Attempt to find an accessible basement or interior hallway to use as a shelter.
During a severe thunderstorm warning:
- Avoid driving through standing water. Most cars and light trucks will float in as little as 12 inches of water.
- Avoid using corded phones and other corded electrical items.
- Unplug computers and televisions to protect them from electrical power surges.
- Do not take a shower.
- Avoid metal items as they can carry an electrical current.
Specific instructions may vary by incident.