Flooding can occur quickly, without much warning. If a flood warning is issued, find shelter right away.
How to prepare
- Know the difference between a flash flood watch, a flash flood warning, a flood watch and a flood warning.
- Monitor local weather resources to know when flooding may occur.
What to do during and after flooding
- Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
- Just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Stay off of bridges over fast-moving water.
- Determine how best to protect yourself based on the type of flooding.
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Move to higher ground or a higher floor. If you cannot move higher, stay where you are.
For more information, visit https://www.ready.gov/floods.