The University is under normal operating conditions today.
During an average winter, Charlotte accumulates about four inches of snowfall. However, precipitation types and amounts can very widely in the surrounding areas. That is why it is important to be NinerReady!
If there is winter weather event or other emergency that impacts campus, the University may have to alter its operating condition. If that happens, the campus community will be notified in the following ways:
- Email - A message will be delivered to your UNC Charlotte account.
- Website - A banner message will appear at www.uncc.edu.
- Social media - Updates will be posted on Facebook and Twitter.
- Weather hotline - The latest information will be available by calling 704-687-1900.
If classes are canceled, you may also find information on local media stations.
- Condition 1 (C1) - Reduced Operations: The chancellor has determined that adverse weather or another emergency event is likely to have an impact on the local area. The campus, however, is clear for both foot and vehicle traffic. Classes are in session, most offices are still open, and employees are expected to be at work. Please note: Employees and students should always exercise good judgment when determining if they can get to and from campus safely.
- Condition 2 (C2) - Suspended Operations: The chancellor has determined that adverse weather or another emergency event is likely to have an impact on the campus. Safety risks or logistical challenges are more severe, and non-mandatory employees and students should avoid traveling to the area. Only mandatory services are open. Please note: Non-mandatory employees must account for missed time. Any non-exempt employees required to work will receive equal time off on an hour-for-hour basis.
- Condition 3 (C3) - The University has obtained approval from the president of the University of North Carolina system to close because a severe and sustained adverse weather event or other emergency is impacting campus. Students and non-mandatory employees should avoid campus. Missed time is excused. Please note: UNC Charlotte cannot independently declare a C3 event. Because of this, non-mandatory employees should be prepared to account for missed time unless otherwise notified. Any non-exempt employees required to work will receive equal time off on an hour-for-hour basis.
For more information about what members of the University community should do in each condition, visit the FAQ page.
Employees and students should also familiarize themselves with University Policy 701, Adverse Weather and Emergency Events.